As you’re shopping for new window coverings, you’ll likely hear the terms “sheer” and “opaque.” These terms refer to the amount of light a window covering lets into a room, and the level of privacy the window covering provides. As your local Hunter Douglas window covering dealer, we have a wide variety of styles in fabrics that range from sheer to opaque. Our window treatment consultants will help you discover which is best for you.
Deciding between Sheer or Opaque Window Coverings
This isn’t an either-or decision. Fabrics range from very sheer, meaning see through, to completely opaque, meaning blackout. To decide what you need, think about what you want your window treatment to accomplish. Do you want to:
- Provide privacy
- Block harmful UV rays?
- Filter out the sunlight
- Rotate the blind or shade for light control
- Lift or have the blind or shade off the window for complete view
Hunter Douglas Guidelines
When you’re shopping for Hunter Douglas, you can use their light and privacy scale which rates window coverings on a scale of 1 to 4:
1. Sheer – The material or fabric allows the light into the room and provides you with a view of the outside while reducing the glare and provides no privacy. Perfect for living and dining room.
2. Semi-Sheer – The material or fabric offers a soft screened view that diffuses light with moderate privacy. Perfect for your kitchen or family room.
3. Semi-Opaque – The material or fabric filters more light, but blocks the view. These fabrics provide more privacy, however you will still be able to see shadows. Perfect for bathrooms and bedrooms.
4. Opaque/Room Darkening – These materials or fabrics block nearly all light and provide a greater degree of light control and privacy. Perfect for bedrooms and children’s room.
Another option is complete blackout, which blocks 99% of all light. Perfect for bedrooms, children’s rooms and media rooms.
Sheer to Opaque Window Coverings in the Lake Ozark Area
Windows & More proudly serves Lake Ozark, Osage Beach & Camden, Miller & Morgan counties, with a showroom in Osage Beach. Contact us for a window treatment consultation!